How to Sponsor your wife, husband or partner for the Canadian Immigration

Posted by in CIC News, on November 10, 2020

Canada Immigration is aiming to process the applications for spousal sponsorship within 12 months.

IRCC has announced to expedite approximately 6000 spousal sponsorship applications every month until the end of 2020.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) announced this major change in late September, and it is specially for the people who wish to reunite with their loved ones quickly during the times of pandemic.

Earlier, before pandemic, Canada had targeted the arrival of approximately 70,000 immigrants every year under the partner, spousal and children=n family class immigration category.

However, now at present, Canada has made a big announcement of its 2021-2023 Immigration Levels Plan, which is 1 million immigrants each year. Most of these immigrants will also be from the spousal sponsorship category.

Eligibility Criteria for sponsoring your partner under Canadian Immigration:

The Canadian Citizens and permanent residents can sponsor their partners for obtaining the permanent residence. The sponsor and the partner must show IRCC that their relationship falls under one of the below mentioned categories:

  • Spouse
  • Common-law partner
  • Conjugal partner

The permanent residents and Canadian citizens are allowed to sponsor their loved one only if they are 18 years and above, prove to IRCC that they do not depend on social assistance for any kind of disability, and can prove that they are financially independent and can look after the basic needs of the partner.

If you are a Canadian citizen living abroad, you also need to prove you plan to live in Canada with the person you aim to sponsor.

Eligibility criteria for partners:

  • Spouse: They must be legally married to you and at least 18 years old.
  • Common-law partner: They must be at least 18 years old and have lived with you for at least 12 straight months.
  • Conjugal partner: They must be at least 18 years old, have been in a relationship with you for at least one year, live outside of Canada, and cannot live with you in their country or marry you due to significant legal or immigration causes. For example, they live in a country where same-sex marriage or divorce is not allowed. You need to prove to IRCC you could not live together or get married in your partner’s country.

If you wish to call your spouse or partner to Canada and get them the permanent residency status, then contact us. We are immigration experts based in Brampton (Greater Toronto Area), Ontario and specialize in all immigration categories. We will get you the best service.


So call us on +1-289-802-5048.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *