Canadian immigration applicants now only need to submit the highest degree for ECA

Posted by in CIC News, on December 24, 2020

The applicants who apply for any Canadian immigration have to submit a document called Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) from World Education Services (WES) or other accepted agency. The ECA verifies the foreign degrees, certificates and diplomas and have a valid Canadian equivalent.

One of the providers mentioned above which is certified by IRCC i.e. WES recently announced that the immigration applicants need to submit only the highest completed credential.

Thus, WES discourages the applicants to submit any additional credentials for assessment, as it slows down the process. Also, ECAs are not needed for Canadian credentials.

Also, as of November 2020, the applicants who have PhD do not have to submit their bachelor’s or master’s degree for assessment. The same is for the ones who have their master’s or bachelor’s degree.

The instructions are somewhat different for the applicants who have studies in a francophone country and thus, there might be some additional outliers who will have to send additional credentials.

The instructions are a little different for those who went to school in a francophone country, and there may be some outliers who will have to send in additional credentials. However, if their highest credential is a DEUG, DUT or Licence, then they do not need to send in their Diplôme du Bac, or BEP.  Those who have the following do not need to submit their DEUG, DUT or Licence for evaluation:

  • Maîtrise, Master, Diplôme d’Ingénieur;
  • Diplôme de Grandes Écoles;
  • DEA;
  • Diplôme d’État de Docteur en Médicine; or
  • Diplôme d’Etat de Docteur en Pharmacie.

Those whose have a Diplôme de Docteur do not need to submit their:

  • Maîtrise, Master, Diplôme d’Ingénieur,
  • Diplôme de Grandes Écoles;
  • DEA;
  • Diplôme d’Etat de Docteur en Médecine; or
  • Diplôme d’Etat de Docteur en Pharmacie

The documents in French do not require a translation. However, most documents in other languages are to be translated, but there can be some exceptions depending on the WES.

Some applicants from India will also have to submit additional credentials.

Indian applicants who are sending in a master’s degree or postgraduate diploma to get assessed also have to send their bachelor’s degree. There are some exceptions: people with a Master of Education, Master of Engineering, Master of Philosophy, or Master of Technology degree. Also, those who have a PhD do not need to send a bachelor’s or master’s degree for evaluation.

ECA for Express Entry

People who apply for Canadian immigration through the Express Entry may need an ECA.

Those who completed education outside Canada need an assessment for two important reasons: to be eligible as the principal applicant for FSWP (Federal Skilled Worker Program), or to earn CRS points for foreign education.

The Express Entry candidates who are applying with a spouse or common-law partner can earn points if their partner also gets an ECA for their foreign credentials.

Points will only be given if the report shows that the foreign credential is equal to a completed Canadian high school or post-secondary credential.

ECAs submitted for immigration purposes must not be more than five years old when applicants submit their Express Entry profile or apply for permanent residence.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *