How to sponsor your partner for immigration to Quebec

Posted by in CIC News, on January 13, 2021

A Permanent Resident or Canadian Citizen may sponsor their partner or spouse who wishes to immigrate to Quebec.

Since Quebec has additional powers with respect to the immigration to the province, it also has an additional step in the application process. This means that those who wish to immigrate to the Canadian province of Quebec must go through a process that first requires the filing of an application at the federal level, with IRCC, and then at the provincial level, with the Ministry of Immigration, Francization and Integration (MIFI).

The first step when you decide to sponsor your spouse for immigrating to Canada is to a complete sponsorship and permanent residence application with the Government of Canada.

This involves sending the specific completed forms, supporting documents and the required processing fees to IRCC. In addition, the sponsor needs to include the sponsored person’s application for permanent residence along with supporting documents and the required fees.

Once the sponsorship application is deemed eligible by IRCC, the sponsor is needed to file an application for an undertaking with the MIFI. The undertaking is a contract will bind you as a sponsor to your spouse or partner and the Quebec government. The sponsor will need to download the specific kit from the MIFI website and fill out the forms, attach supporting documents and the required fees.

Once the sponsor’s application is approved by the MIFI, it will be the forwarded to the IRCC office which will process the application for permanent residence of the person sponsored. The persons being sponsored have to meet the health, criminality, and security requirements for IRCC to grant them permanent residence.

Once in Quebec, the person you have sponsored can benefit from the many services offered by MIFI (including information sessions, French courses, assistance from an immigration officer) and will have access to those offered by organizations that welcome and facilitate the integration of newcomers.

Based on published processing times, it takes approximately 12 months for the IRCC to process spousal sponsorship applications, including a two- or three-month waiting period during which the sponsorship application undergoes review.

What you need to know

Anyone wishing to sponsor their spouse or common-law partner must ensure that they are eligible. In particular, they must be Canadian citizens, First Nations people or permanent residents over the age of 18.

As is the case in the rest of Canada, there are no specific minimum thresholds for the sponsorship of a spouse, as there are for the sponsorship of a parent, a grandparent, a dependent who has a child, where you must prove that you have sufficient financial resources for the duration of the undertaking. You will however have to prove to IRCC and the MIFI that you can support yourself, the person you are sponsoring and any dependent children.

To prove that you intend to live or return to Quebec and have the financial ability to do so, you can, for instance:

  • providing a bank attestation indicating that you have sufficient funds to support yourself;
  • indicating in a letter of explanation the steps you and your spouse intend to take to find a job quickly or provide information on your diplomas and experience, with particular reference to the current job offer in Quebec.

Even if you meet all of the above conditions, there are several factors that may prevent you from sponsoring your spouse or common-law partner. If you have committed a violent crime, for example, you cannot be a sponsor. If you are still financially responsible for a former spouse or common-law partner and you are still bound by your three-year undertaking, or if you have declared bankruptcy and have not been discharged that will also affect your ability to sponsor.

If you are in Quebec and want to bring your family to Canada, contact us and get the best immigration guidance from us.

We are immigration experts based in Brampton (Greater Toronto Area), Ontario and specialize in all immigration categories. We will get you the best service.


So call us on +1-289-802-5048.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *